The job title
Junior Software Engineer - RING Platform Development Team
Paris, France / R&D / Full Time / Full remote possible
The company context
Scality is one of the most prominent FrenchTech startups, recognized throughout the industry for its technical leadership and its open-source contributions(e)Selected for theFrench Tech 120 #FT120, Scality is a worldwide leader in the space of software-defined storage.
Scality has over 300 customers in more than 30 countries, including some of the largest telecom operators and banks, several TV stations, and over 30 hospitals(e)For its team members, Scality wants to be an exceptional employer with many benefits such as continuous education and sports budgets, donation matching, paternity leave worldwide, and many other benefits that go well beyond market standards.
Scality is also a responsible company that invests heavily in room-to-room conferencing to minimize travel and compensates for all its travel-related carbon emissions.
Scality’s internal motto is: “Work hard, play hard, eat well, and amaze the customer!” “Eat well” really means “Enjoy Life” which Scality employees and leaders do very well!
Learn more about Scality on our Careers page.
- RTT in addition to PTOs
- High-end equipment (Apple/Dell laptop computers, Bring-Your-Own-OS policy, multiple screens)
- Stock options distribution
- Individual performance rewards
- Remote work policy
- Sports and Wellness programs
- Ample training allowance (e.g., internal/external skills training, conferences, coaching)
- Annual off-site company-wide “Kick-Off” event
- Food fun: lunch vouchers, weekly company breakfast, a lunch delivery service, unlimited hot soothing coffee / tea / chocolate drinks, and more
- Office fun: babyfoot, ping-pong, board and card games, planned group activities
- CSE perks
The job context
The Engineering department
You’ll be joining a global engineering team with strong continuous integration and testing culture and infrastructure.
You’ll be working alongside skilled experts in domains ranging from low-level file storage to distributed systems, cloud native technologies, containerization or networking.
The engineering team is organized as autonomous squads under the direction of the VP of Engineering.
Our Platform Development team is in charge of developing and maintaining the installation and upgrade layer for the RING product, as well as all components used by the other teams for supervision, orchestration and monitoring(e)Said otherwise, our goal is to make sure every release of the product can be installed or upgraded to at our hundreds of customers’ premises, and the supervision, orchestration and monitoring tools will do their job on the field.
You’ll be integrated in this team of 9 people with varied backgrounds (production operations, pure development, product management…) ranging from 2 to 30+ years of experience, all willing and able to share their experience to contribute to your technical and human growth.
Inside the team, we have specific roles and plenty of growing paths for you:
- Individual contributor: everybody participates in the daily work of the team.
- Feature lead: to accompany a feature from design to delivery.
- Technical lead: to be the reference point for a specific perimeter in the product.
- Architect: to lead feature designs and make sure we stay aligned with the technical strategy of the company.
- Product owner: to decide priorities and build the roadmap.
- Team leader: acting as a manager, to be responsible for the work environment in general, from approving holidays to sharing company strategy throughout solving day-to-day issues.
As a Junior Software Engineer:
- You will learn how to work within our perimeter, from Salt states to Ansible playbooks, throughout RPM packaging and Prometheus configuration, in very challenging and demanding environments in terms of quality and robustness; this also includes participating in the design of new features, building PoCs and the implementation of various tests.
- You will also take part in various projects and features related to testing, automation, cloud deployment, CI workflow, software releasing.
- And depending on your skills and experience, you could be involved progressively in cross-team projects as well, more specifically with our San Francisco team, and also participate in understanding field feedback.
The technical stack
- Docker / Containerd
- RPM packaging
- Ansible / Salt
- Prometheus, ELK, Grafana
- Python / Bash
- Python APIs with Django, Flask
- PostgreSQL and SQLite databases
- Git / GitHub
- Github Actions as CI
- AWS and other providers for virtual labs
The desired profile
- 0 to 2+ years of experience
- Based in France
- Basic annual salary from 40k€ to 50k€, +10% variable pay depending on the company quarterly results
- Friendly, willing to collaborate with other team members
- Devops mindset, able to code and to understand and check how this code behaves on production
- Curious and open, willing to learn, problem-solving mindset
- Able to self-direct, but not afraid to ask questions
- Able to pursue any technical lead, and to ask when facing a difficult situation
- French speaker, as the team is based in France
- Fluent knowledge of English mandatory, as frequent interaction with US teams will occur and all production (code and documentation) is in English
- Familiarity with Linux systems and sysadmin troubleshooting
- CI systems
- First experience with Python
- Working knowledge of a version control system (git, hg, svn…)
- All other things listed in our technical stack
- Python expertise
- RHEL expertise
- Software development & release expertise
- Cloud engineering skills (e.g(e)AWS, terraform)
- Any other expertise ;)